I need a pair of frams for the 902 series HF compression drivers.
Is GPA the best or only place for these?
Thx.
I need a pair of frams for the 902 series HF compression drivers.
Is GPA the best or only place for these?
Thx.
Some folks say the Radion frams are very good but I have not listened to them.
The Radian diaphragms rival the cost of the GPA items though, so if you didn't want to make that sort of investment you could always purchase one of the many 'aftermarket' items from ebay, which seem to be about half the cost.
I have never heard these though, so would be interested in hearing from you (or anyone who has) regarding their quality if you do purchase some!
I've tried aftermarkets with poor results.
On the GPA web cite they recommend specific diaphrams indicating a model number for each Altec HF driver.
On other web cites that sell speaker repair parts, I see these advertised with the same model number diaphragms, so GPA must manufacture these and they must sell them to speaker repair shops (wholesalers) for subsequent sale to individuals at retail; right?
Does Bill from GPA sell the frams directly to individuals or do you have to send your drivers into him for a new fram installation? It is not clear from the web page as far as I can tell.
Bill will sell you whatever you want, and be very gracious about it, and he will install the phrams if you want.
They work best by phone.
Harry
Those folks use the same numbers because those are the original part numbers Altec used.
Bill kept the numbers the same to avoid confusion - the performance of the diaphragms he makes is identical to the originals.
BUT just because those other sources use numbers that are the same, it does NOT mean they're REAL ones from GPA!
The only way be SURE you're getting true Altec-quality performance is to get them from GPA!
Todd W. White, Owner & Webmaster
Altec Lansing's (unofficial) Homepage
I can definitely vouch for Bill's helpfulness at GPA. I received two diaphragms from him just last week (shipped to Australia) and he's been very good at answering my questions via email.
ive gotten 6 phrams from bill..great guy, great service, great product. the clarity of the new ones is so very transparent..did i describe that right?
"those sounds to which no definite pitch can be assigned are usually classified as noise"<br />harvey fletcher-1928
GPA is definitely the way to go. I have purchased diaphragms from them before and had other services done to my Altecs. Excellent service and Bill is also very nice to talk to.
Bookmarks